It began in 1888 with a house to house collection to raise funds to form a Brass Band in Great Horwood.
When sufficient money had been raised to make a start Mr Shouler, the Bandmaster from nearby Padbury band was asked to advise and help in setting up the first Great Horwood Brass Band. (The "SILVER" was not added to the title until some time in the middle of the 20th century).
The first recorded engagement was on the 11th August 1889, when the Band headed the parade at the Village Feast day. The band is also recorded in the local press as performing at various functions in the 1890s in both Great Horwood and Adstock, where they played for the Club Day.
Great Horwood Brass Band
From then, until 1911, the band played at Feast days and Benefit Society events in Great Horwood, Maids Moreton, Steeple Claydon, Hoggeston, Gawcott and Padbury.
In 1902 they played in Great Horwood at the thanksgiving service for the end of the Boer War and the coronation of King Edward VII.
They also played for the coronation of King George V on the 1st of July 1911.
Oldest known Photo of the Band
Although no written record has been found it is believed that Mr Levi Marks travelled to Winslow Station to collect a set of new instruments in 1893.
Details of the number and make of the instruments are unavailable.
Coronation of King George V
1st July 1911
We are continuing to make history over 130 Years later
Great Horwood Club Day
More Information Regarding the History of the Band can be found via the link to the Great Horwood History Site below